If you’re looking to upgrade your kitchen cabinets, you might already know that the two most common styles of kitchen cabinet doors are shaker and raised panel.
But which style doors will be best for your kitchen?
To help you make a decision, here’s a detailed guide on each of the two styles:
A shaker style cabinet door has a recessed center panel with an overlay around the edge. Although it is a classic style that has been around for ages, it looks clean-cut and minimalist, and that means it also fits with many contemporary kitchen designs. This is the beauty of the shaker style, that is can be used in both modern and rustic kitchens and every design style in between.
Whether you prefer an industrial design or a contemporary farmhouse look, the clean functional appearance of shaker cabinets will be a match. And if you’re going through a transitional phase right now with your kitchen, shaker cabinets can easily bridge the gap.
Here are some of the top reasons to choose shaker cabinets:
- Simple & Practical – with their clean, elegant lines, shaker cabinets are often chosen for their simplicity and functionality
- Value – shaker cabinets probably give you the most bang for your buck given their durability and timeless design – because they won’t go out of style, they can also increase the resale value of your home
- Versatile – shaker cabinets are the ideal choice for kitchens that might undergo a design transition over time
- Easy Maintenance – shaker cabinets are generally some of the easiest to wipe down and clean
Raised Panel Cabinets
A raised panel cabinet door has a raised center panel that typically features a decorative overlay and grooved carving in the wood. This is a more ornate approach to design and is typically featured in luxurious traditional kitchens.
The raised panel will give this style door a sense of solidity and a three-dimensional appearance. Best of all, raised panels can come in a variety of design styles to match your tastes and preferences. They might even be able to include metal or glass components.
Here are some of the top reasons to choose raised panel cabinets:
- Multiple Design Options – there are a variety of design styles for the decorative carvings in raised panel cabinets
- Formal – raised cabinets add a touch of high-end formality and luxury to a kitchen
- Statement Piece – with their carvings, edges, and often ornate designs, raised panel cabinets add drama and flair to your kitchen, functioning like a work of art in their own right
- Doesn’t Show as Much Dirt & Grime – because raised panel cabinets are typically darker and/or more ornate, it’s often harder to see any accumulating dirt
How to Decide Between Shaker Vs. Raised Panel Kitchen Cabinets
If you’re struggling to decide which style of cabinets will be best for your kitchen, there are several factors you should take into consideration.
First, it’s helpful to begin by deciding on the overall design style you want for your kitchen. Consider how you want your kitchen to look and feel as you enter and move about. Also, think about how the design of your new kitchen will fit with the rest of your home as a whole. Ideally, the style of your kitchen cabinets should complement not only the kitchen but your whole-home design.
Next, you should focus on your functional needs. Do you want a kitchen that will be quick and easy to clean, or are you more concerned about creating a standout luxurious design that will surely impress guests?
Still can’t decide? If you want some expert advice for your kitchen, our team here at RTA Wood Cabinets will be glad to help. Get your FREE kitchen design by giving us a call at: 1-800-788-7575.